The Career Development Office is committed to providing students and alumni the tools
and resources they will need for lifelong professional development. We help students
and graduates discover and expand their options, and we teach them how to be at their
best when looking for a job.
Career planning starts from the moment you step foot on the McGeorge campus. The CDO
offers various services to help you develop skills that you will use for the rest
of your career.
- One-on-One Career Advising — Students and graduates can book appointments with career advisors to discuss career
options, formulate an individualized career plan or job-search strategy, practice
interviewing techniques, or to have their professional materials reviewed. Advising
appointments can be made through McGeorgeCareersOnline.
- Self-Assessment — Developing a career plan means first understanding what you want out of your career.
The CDO provides tools for students and alumni to find the career path that best suits
their strengths and needs.
- Workshops and Panels — The CDO holds workshops and panels throughout the year that allow students and
graduates a chance to learn about various practice areas and settings, network with
legal professionals, and to develop lifelong career-building skills.
Leadership and Experience
The CDO provides comprehensive services to assist students and graduates in finding
permanent, academic-year, and summer employment, as well as volunteer and leadership
- McGeorgeCareersOnline (MCO) is the CDO's online career management system. By registering with MCO, students and
graduates have access to job and internship listings.
- On-Campus Interviews (OCI) — Every fall and spring, legal employers are invited to the McGeorge campus to interview
our students for summer and postgraduate positions. The bidding process is conducted
- Videos and Handouts — The CDO produces a series of videos and handouts to give students and graduates
quick and accessible information about various topics involved in the job search process.
All of the videos and handouts can be found on the CDO Webpage.
- Mock Interviews — The CDO hosts an Alumni/Faculty Mock Interview program where faculty and alumni
conduct mock interviews and provide detailed feedback to student participants. Students
and graduates may also schedule mock interviews with a career advisor throughout the
- Leadership Opportunities — Lawyers are leaders. Part of being a leader is getting involved in the community.
The CDO helps to pair students and graduates with pro bono opportunities that allow
them to contribute to local communities, developing not only legal skills, but also
In today's legal market, 70% of graduates gain employment through networking and personal
references. The CDO offers programs and services to help students and graduates develop
their networking skills, as well as various opportunities to expand their professional
- Alumni Advisor Network — We have more than 450 alumni who have volunteered to help students bridge the gap
between the classroom and practice by offering advice and providing networking opportunities.
Through MCO, all students have the ability to connect with alumni — these connections
may be as basic as a single informational interview, or they may develop into a career-long
mentoring relationship. Regardless of how students decide to use the Alumni Advisor
Network, it is an invaluable tool when developing your professional network.
- Networking Events — Throughout the year, the CDO partners with other groups on campus to host events
that give students and graduates an opportunity to expand their professional network.
Check out the CDO calendar to find the next event.
Answers to nine of the most Frequently Asked Questions at the CDO.
The CDO is available to assist current McGeorge School of Law students and graduates.
Additionally, our office is happy to work with graduates and students of other ABA-accredited
law schools in obtaining employment through the reciprocity process. Please see this handout (pdf) for more information on our reciprocity policy (pdf).
Career Development Office
Email | 916.739.7011