Global Center 2018 Symposium
March 2, 2018
McGeorge School of Law's Global Center Annual Symposium was held Friday, March 2,
2018 on the topic of "Foreign Interference with Elections". At the symposium leading
experts explored what is illegitimate and what is legitimate, under both international
and domestic law, in efforts to influence other nations' electoral politics and what
can be done to prevent the illegitimate.
With the indictment of 13 Russians for illegal activities seeking to influence the
2016 election, investigation into Russian interference continues to dominate the news.
Yet, foreign interference in other nations' electoral politics is not limited to recent
years, and Russia is not the only country that attempts to influence elections. The
United States itself has engaged in covert and overt attempts to influence other nations'
Watch a video of the symposium on YouTube here.
- Jean M. Hobler - Former Anti-Terrorism and National Security Coordinator, U.S. Attorney's Office, E.D.
Cal, Owner, Jean M. Hobler, Esq., P.C., Adjunct Professor, McGeorge School of Law
- Justin Levitt - Professor of Law & Associate Dean for Research, Loyola Law School Los Angeles
- Herbert Lin - Senior Research Scholar for Cyber Policy and Security, Center for International
Security and Cooperation & Hank J. Holland Fellow in Cyber Policy and Security, Hoover
Institution, Stanford University
- Michael P. Malloy - Distinguished Professor of Law, University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law
- Eugene D. Mazo - Visiting Associate Professor of Law, University of Maryland Francis King Carey
School of Law and Visiting Associate Professor of Law, University of Baltimore School
- Jens David Ohlin - Vice Dean & Professor of Law, Cornell Law School
- Harvey Rishikof - Senior Counsel, Crowell Moring, Chair of the Advisory Committee of the American
Bar Association's Standing Committee on Law and National Security
- Albert E. Scherr - Professor of Law & Chair International Criminal Law & Justice Program, University
of New Hampshire School of Law
- John Cary Sims - Professor of Law, University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law, Member of the
Editorial Board, Journal of National Security Law & Policy
- Daniel P. Tokaji - Associate Dean for Faculty & Ebersold Professor of Constitutional Law, Ohio State
University Moritz College of Law