McGeorge School of Law

DACA Renewal Information

June 17, 2015

This information is for people who already have DACA and need to renew DACA. Download a flyer with this information (pdf)

You can apply for DACA renewal up to 150 days before your current DACA expires. USCIS strongly recommends filing for renewal between 120 and 150 days before your DACA expires. Processing times for DACA renewal vary so it is important to file as soon as possible.

You can lessen the chance of gaps in your employment eligibility by following these recommendations:

  • File on time. Submit your renewal request between 150 days and 120 days before the expiration date listed on your current Form I-797 DACA approval notice and Employment Authorization Document.
  • Correctly submit all required forms and fees. USCIS will reject your renewal request unless you properly submit:
    • Form I-821D, Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals;
    • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization;
    • Form I-765WS Worksheet;
    • Required fees of $465 payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security;
    • 2 passport style photos; and
    • Copy of your current employment authorization card from DACA.
  • Uncommon situations:
    • If you have traveled outside the United States since your last DACA application was approved, you need to submit proof that you traveled with advance parole.
    • If your name has legally changed, for example due to marriage or divorce, you must submit evidence such as a copy of a marriage certificate or divorce certificate restoring your maiden name.
  • Criminal history / removal proceedings
    • If you have been arrested or charged with any crime or placed in removal proceedings since your initial DACA application, or become aware of similar incidents which you did not disclose on your initial application you should CONSULT with a qualified immigration attorney. You can check membership in the California bar for attorneys licensed in California at You should ask the attorney about his or her experience in these types of cases.

If your case is pending more than 105 days, you may submit an inquiry about the status of your renewal request. To submit an inquiry online, visit, or call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 (TDD for the hearing impaired: 1-800-767-1833).

Download a flyer with this information (PDF)