McGeorge School of Law

Advanced Trial Advocacy Preference Form

Advanced Trial Advocacy will be offered during the Spring Semester of 2013 in three Sections. Seniors, December 2013 graduation candidates and Advocacy Certificate Candidates have preference; if any vacancies remain, other students who have completed Evidence or are presently enrolled in Evidence may be admitted.

For the first 12 weeks, the course will meet for one hour per week in the Courtroom for a seminar, which will be held on Monday from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. You will also meet for an additional two hours per week with your Section for student exercises. (See below for Section days and times.) The last two weeks of the semester are devoted to day-long trials, scheduled Monday through Saturday.

Enrollment will be limited to a total of 24 students.

All students who sign up will be "registered" for the course, but the actual "enrollment" will not be decided until all such "registrants" have been received. Then, in the event of "over-registration," a lottery will be used to determine who will be actually admitted to the course and "enrolled." The lottery will be conducted as follows:

  • Registration is done by completing the Preference Form below. Each student will have one place in the lottery. Day and Evening students may choose any of the sections — not limited by "Day" or "Evening" times.
  • Seniors, December 2013 Graduation Candidates and Advocacy Certificate Candidates have preference.
  • Subject to the preferences stated above, each student will be given his or her first choice of section unless that section is already filled; then second choice, etc. A student will be "bumped" from the course only if all sections chosen by the student are already filled.

For additional information, contact Professor Jay Leach, in the Center for Legal Advocacy at 916.739.7002.


Any student failing to submit the Adv. Trial Advocacy Preference Form will not be registered.

If you register online, register only by filling out the Trial Advocacy Form. Hard-copy versions of the form are available in the Registrar's Office.

Fill out my online form.