As an alumna/us of McGeorge, you may access the services of the McGeorge Career Development Office (CDO) for the rest of your legal career!
McGeorgeCareersOnline (MCO) Career Manager
Search through and apply for current employment opportunities, upload resumes and cover letters, and take advantage of other CDO services, including the Document Library, on MCO. The CDO sends regular e-mail messages featuring available job opportunities, so be sure your MCO profile accurately reflects your current email address, practice area and geographic preferences.
One-on-One Career Advising
- In-Person Advising — Meet with a career advisor to discuss your specific job-search or career-transition plans, or to have your resume, cover letter, or other professional materials reviewed. Make an appointment on MCO at https://law-pacific-csm.symplicity.com/students/index.php, or call us at 916.739-7011.
- Email — You may also email your professional materials to email@example.com. A career advisor will review them and email you back with comments.
After graduation you may continue to use the resources of the McGeorge CDO, including books, handouts, and any other materials available in the CDO lobby.
Reciprocity allows graduates from ABA-accredited law schools to use the employment resources of other ABA-accredited law schools' career services offices. To request reciprocity, contact Isabella Hannon at 916.739.7339 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep in Touch
- "LIKE" us on the McGeorge Facebook page, to keep up on opportunities and CDO programs.
- Change in employment? Please fill out our online form at https://mcgeorge.wufoo.com/forms/employment-survey/ (it only takes a few minutes) so that we can maintain accurate employment statistics.
- The Bridge &mcash; Read the CDO's newsletter for recent graduates.
Job Search Strategies
Below is a list of job-search resources and ideas. Please make an appointment with (or send an email to) a career advisor for more job-search and career-planning ideas specifically tailored to you.
- Log onto BYU Intercollegiate Job Bank at https://www.law2.byu.edu/Career_Services/jobbank/ for summer opportunities outside of Sacramento. The password is in the MCO document library.
- Register with PSJD (www.psjd.org) to gain access the largest database of public interest and public sector jobs. We've already paid your registration fees!
- Partnership for Public Service (www.ourpublicservice.org) offers several e-publications, including Daily Pipeline, and publishes Best Places to Work in Federal Government (http://data.bestplacestowork.org/bptw/index) and Where the Jobs Are.
- Federal Times (www.federaltimes.com) — has a great career section.
- American Corporate Counsel Association: www.acc.com (lists available corporate counsel jobs).
- Obtaining information on mid-sized and large law firms is relatively easy. Go to:
- Small law firms often "fly under the radar" and may or may not be featured in large commercial database websites. To obtain information about small firms, you'll have to be creative: read local legal publications, talk to local attorneys, use WESTLAW and LEXIS to search cases and publications, and even look through the Yellow Pages.
- Conduct informational interviews with McGeorge or undergrad alumni:
- Alumni Directory — A few months after you graduate, you'll have access to the McGeorge online alumni directory. Use it to request informational interviews with alumni.
- Alumni Mentor Network — it's not too late to take an alum to coffee through our Alumni Mentor Network on McGeorgeCareersOnline. Don't have access to this tab? Just ask the CDO at email@example.com.
- Be a joiner — Join bar associations. Participate in community groups. Volunteer.
- LinkedIn — Make a strong LinkedIn profile and use LinkedIn to your advantage.
- Job Fairs — Many legal career job fairs around the country welcome recent law school graduates.
- Alumni Events — McGeorge posts alumni events.
- Young Alumni Chapter — You'll automatically become a member of the Alumni Chapter. Attend professional development programs and other social networking events.
Additional Job Search Websites
- McGeorgeCareersOnline (MCO): https://law-pacific-csm.symplicity.com/students/index.php.
- Emplawyernet: www.emplawyernet.com
- Idealist: www.idealist.org
- Hieros Gamos: www.hg.org
- Find Law: www.findlaw.com
- Law Jobs: www.lawjobs.com
- Law.Com: www.law.com
- Law Forum: www.lawforum.net
- Legal Report: www.legalreport.com
- Law Periscope: www.lawperiscope.com
- Lexis: www.lawyers.com
Career Development Office
Email | 916.739.7011