As a McGeorge alum, you have access to the services of the McGeorge Career Development
Office (CDO) for the rest of your legal career.
5th Annual Post-Graduate Job Fair
Are you looking for a full-time position? Join us for the Fifth Annual McGeorge Post-Graduate
Job Fair in September 2018 to have the opportunity to meet with multiple employers
in one place. Each of the participating employers will be set up at their own table
so they can collect resumes, tell you about what they have to offer, and meet with
interested Class of 2018 graduates. Watch your email for more information.
Class of 2018 McGeorge Graduate Fellowship Program
We are pleased to announce that the McGeorge Graduate Fellowship Program has been
renewed for the Class of 2018, which includes December 2017 grads. McGeorge will be
offering a limited number of Graduate Fellowship stipends for December 2017 and May
2018 grads. More information on the program and how to apply can be found here:
Contact Molly Stafford at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
McGeorgeCareersOnline (MCO) Career Manager
Search through and apply for current employment opportunities, upload resumes and
cover letters, and take advantage of other CDO services, including the Document Library,
on MCO. The CDO sends regular e-mail messages featuring available job opportunities,
so be sure your MCO profile accurately reflects your current email address, practice
area and geographic preferences.
One-on-One Career Advising
- In-Person Advising — Meet with a career advisor to discuss your specific job-search or career-transition
plans, or to have your resume, cover letter, or other professional materials reviewed.
Make an appointment on MCO at go.mcgeorge.edu/MCO, or call us at 916.739.7011.
- Email — You may also email your professional materials to email@example.com. A career advisor will review them and email you back with comments.
After graduation you may continue to use the resources of the McGeorge CDO, including
books, handouts, and any other materials available in the CDO lobby.
Keep in Touch
- Follow us on Twitter @McGeorgeCDO and connect with “McGeorge CDO” on Facebook to keep up-to-date on job opportunities, CDO programs, and career news.
- Please fill out our Employment Survey on McGeorgeCareersOnline.
CDO Events and Programs
As an alum, you continue to have access to some of the great programs sponsored by
the CDO including our Job Search Bootcamp, the Young Alumni Program series, and several
CLEs throughout the year. Watch your email and social media for more information!
Job Search Strategies
Below is a list of job-search resources and ideas. Please make an appointment with
(or send an email to) a career advisor for more job-search and career-planning ideas
specifically tailored to you.
- LinkedIn — Build a strong LinkedIn profile and use LinkedIn to your advantage. For
help in utilizing this tool, please contact the CDO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Network! — Solid networking skills can not only help you find the right job, but will
help you build a professional reputation that will benefit you throughout your career.
- Log onto BYU Intercollegiate Job Bank at https://www.law2.byu.edu/Career_Services/jobbank/ for summer opportunities outside of Sacramento. The password is in the MCO document
- Register with PSJD (www.psjd.org) to gain access the largest database of public interest and public sector jobs. The
CDO has already paid your registration fees!
- Federal Times (www.federaltimes.com) — has a great career section.
- American Corporate Counsel Association: www.acc.com (lists available corporate counsel jobs).
- Obtaining information on mid-sized and large law firms is relatively easy. Go to:
- Small law firms often "fly under the radar" and may or may not be featured in large
commercial database websites. To obtain information about small firms, you'll have
to be creative: read local legal publications, talk to local attorneys, use WESTLAW
and LEXIS to search cases and publications, and even look through the Yellow Pages.
- Conduct informational interviews with McGeorge or undergrad alumni:
- Alumni Directory — A few months after you graduate, you'll have access to the McGeorge
online alumni directory. Use it to request informational interviews with alumni.
- Alumni Mentor Network — it's not too late to take an alum to coffee through our Alumni
Mentor Network on McGeorgeCareersOnline. Don't have access to this tab? Just ask the
CDO at email@example.com.
- Be a joiner — Join bar associations. Participate in community groups. Volunteer.
- Job Fairs — Many legal career job fairs around the country welcome recent law school
- Young Alumni Chapter — You'll automatically become a member of the Alumni Chapter.
Attend professional development programs and other social networking events.
Additional Job Search Websites
Career Development Office
Email | 916.739.7011