Externships & Field Placement Program
Why wait to learn how to practice law until after graduation when you can start while still in law school? Pacific McGeorge's Field Placement Program lets you earn law school credit while performing supervised legal work as an extern at nearly 100 approved government agencies, courts or non-profit entities, and limited for-profit entities where you'll have the opportunity to:
- Apply legal theory and academic principles to solve legal problems and controversies
- Develop legal research, writing, negotiation and interviewing skills
- Experience how ethical standards inform the practice of law
- Better understand the lawyer's role in our legal system
- Explore career interests in a variety of legal settings and build a professional network
For our up-to-date information, including detailed listings and descriptions of all the placements, or to schedule your appointment online, and to learn about our Externship Programs visit us on our TWEN page: Field Placement Program: General Program Information, Office Hours and Calendar.
Students in the Pacific McGeorge Field Placement Program pursue unique opportunities to gain practical experience under attorney supervision in field placements. Placements may include government agencies, nonprofit entities, and limited private placements. Private placements are limited to those areas in which students are unable to gain practical experience without receiving academic credit. Private placements have included IP, Entertainment, General Counsel, Water, and Lobbying-related placements. All placement proposals require advance approval of the Field Placement Director and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
Field Placement Program
Email | 916.739.7188
Colleen Truden, Director
Sally Draper, Coordinator