LL.M. in Transnational Business Practice
The LL.M. in Transnational Business Practice trains lawyers to practice in the field of international business law. Whether trained in civil or common law, an LL.M. in Transnational Business Practice from McGeorge further prepares lawyers for a career in the global economy.
One of the program highlights is that our students gain access to the McGeorge Global Center for Business & Development, which stands at the interface between the global economy and the legal profession. The Global Center facilitates scholarship and curricular innovation, and hosts a number of international events every year, such as our distinguished guests of the International Jurist Series.
Our LL.M. program has only two requirements, (1) a substantive course: Transnational Litigation or International Business Agreement; and (2) LL.M. Legal Writing, Research, and Analysis for those trained in law outside of the United States, which is tailored to introduce students to common law courts, sources, legal reasoning, techniques of legal research and writing. The remaining course units can be customized to meet your individual career goals.
Students have the choice between two tracks:
- LL.M. Transnational Business Practice — Two semesters (full-time) or three/four semesters (part-time) of study on the McGeorge Campus. A student must complete 24 semester units on the Sacramento campus and must begin the program in August.
- LL.M. Transnational Business Practice with Internship — One semester of study on the McGeorge Campus and the opportunity to participate in a 12-week internship with an international law firm. Students must complete 24 semester units. Students begin their program in August, starting in the fall semester followed by the internship in the spring semester.
- Get real practical experience
- Enjoy classes with J.D. students
- Benefit from faculty expertise in the International Law field
- Work with the Director of Graduate & International Programs to tailor your course selection to meet your career goals
- Have access to McGeorge's broad base of alumni who work in international law firms in more than 40 countries
- Join a community of law students studying on the McGeorge campus, and receive special assistance in adjusting to student life in the United States
"The Transnational Business Practice LL.M. was a wonderful experience for me, both academically and career-wise and, by giving me the opportunity to build strong and lasting relationships. The program prepared me for a number of career paths and provided me with the unique opportunity of interning with an international law firm in Phoenix. I am happy to say that the program exceeded my expectations and has been instrumental in my professional development." — Yanying Li, '09, Assistant Legal Counsel at the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague
Contact the Graduate & International Programs Office
Email | 916.739.7353 or 916.739.7019