Future Students

  • Print
  • Share
  • Questions


Is there an International student community?

Yes, approximately 30-40 international students are enrolled in Pacific McGeorge's J.D. and LL.M. each year. Additionally, there is a thriving international student community at Pacific McGeorge providing J.D. and LL.M. students with many opportunities to socialize, gain additional academic support and secure any resources they may need as they adjust to life in the United States.

Do I have to take the LSAT or a similar test before applying to the LL.M. Program?

There is no entry or LSAT type exam that must be taken prior to applying to the LL.M. programs at Pacific McGeorge.

How long should my personal statement be?

Your personal statement should contain all information that you believe is relevant for the admission committee to make a decision. Generally, personal statements in excess of four (4) pages would be considered too lengthy.

When is the application deadline?

F-1 student visa process may take up to three (3) months. We encourage students to submit their application no later than May 15 to allow sufficient time for processing.

Do you have scholarships for LL..M students?

Pacific McGeorge has limited Scholarship funding available for LL.M students. To apply for scholarship, please fill out the scholarship application form (pdf) .

What kind of support is available to international students once on-campus?

The Graduate & International Programs Center assists incoming and current international students and scholars to make smooth transitions at McGeorge and to have successful academic, professional, and social experiences. In that effort, Pacific McGeorge provides a variety of resources including specific courses to aid in academic success, orientation and mentor programs to facilitate a smooth adjustment to life in the United States and various student organizations and social events. Please see the International Students section of our website for further details.

Do LL.M. students have access to the same kinds of extracurricular activities as J.D. students?

LL.M. students are eligible to participate in all of the extracurricular activities available to J.D. students. Pacific McGeorge has a lively student community including various student organizations, social and academic events and intramural sports. Additionally, Sacramento maintains a thriving social and political scene full of accessible events for students and their families.

Can I visit the campus?

Every prospective student is encouraged to visit the beautiful, 13-acre campus. Individual visits can be arranged by contacting us at 916.739.7383.

When and how do I get my student visa?

After you have been admitted to Pacific McGeorge, we will send you a letter with detailed instructions about how to obtain your visa. Upon receipt of your deposit and the financial and personal information requested in the visa instructions letter, Pacific McGeorge will issue you an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility. Once you have received your I-20, you can apply for an F-1 student visa at the United States Consulate in your country. For more information, go to our visa page.

When should I reserve my campus housing?

The on-campus housing is on a first-come, first-served basis. To be eligible to reserve housing, you must have paid your deposit in full. Private apartments or rooms can be rented in the vicinity of the Law School, but you will probably only be able to rent private apartments after you arrive in Sacramento. For more information, go to our Housing Page.

What does LL.M. mean?

LL.M. is the abbreviation of the Latin Legum Magister, which means Master of Laws. In Latin, the plural form of a word is abbreviated by repeating the letter. A more complete definition is available here.

Will the LL.M. degree qualify me to take a Bar exam in the U.S.?

Each state has its own rules for eligibility. Students who earned an LL.B. from a common law country, as well as students who are already licensed in their home country, may qualify for the California Bar exam. Applications for the California Bar exam are reviewed on a case by case basis, so you will need to submit you credentials directly to the Board of Bar Examiners for a determination of your eligibility. Please note that credits earned in an internship do not count towards the 20 credits needed to qualify for the New York State Bar.

If I am not a U.S. citizen, will I be able to work while I study?

The U.S. regulations do not allow F-1 or J-1 visa holder to be employed until they have completed one year of academic studies. After completing the LL.M. degree, F-1 students are entitled to a year of Optional Practical Training which allows them to be employed in the field of law. Application for the Optional Practical Training cannot be made until at least 90 days prior to graduation.

Does mcgeorge have any other graduate programs?

Yes, McGeorge offers a J.S.D. in International Water Resources Law and a Master of Science in Law (M.S.L.) degree, which is specifically designed for non-legal trained applicants.


Contact Clémence Kucera, Director, Graduate & International Programs and Centers of Distinction
Email | 916.739.7353 or 916.739.7019