Capital Commendation for Public Service
Pacific McGeorge Capital Center for Public Law & Policy recognizes students who work on behalf of others in legal or community service as they earn their law degrees.
Students receive the Capital Commendation for Public Service at the:
- Admirable Commitment — 50 hours
- Superior Commitment — 100-hour or
- Extraordinary Commitment — 150-hour levels
Capital Commendation students receive a certificate acknowledging their achievement, special notation in the graduation program, and a special reception celebrating their accomplishments.
Note: Hours working in public service activities i.e. externships, clinic work, or summer jobs for credit or payment do not count toward the Commendation. However, hours worked in excess of those required for credit or payment may qualify.
Students interested in receiving the Capital Commendation for Public Service should complete the following two forms, and return them to the Centers of Distinction:
Public Service Opportunities
We offer several organized opportunities for students to engage in voluntary service. Below is a representation of areas to be involved:
- Public Interest Websites
- Public Legal Services Society (PLSS) — This student organization supports public legal service activities by sponsoring information events and an annual auction, which raises funds for the Loan Repayment Assistance Program and summer stipends available to enable students to engage in public interest and government work.
- Education Pipeline Initiative — Students serve as one-on-one mentors to at-risk high school students in the community. Almost 100 students participated in the program in 2008-09. Activities include tutoring, hanging out, talking about law school and helping to organize youth or peer courts.
- Other Non-Legal Community Service — Students participate in a number of special service events organized and advertised throughout the year. These include the annual Thanksgiving Run to Feed the Hungry, local clean-up events, and service nights at Sacramento Food Bank Services, located a few blocks from the school.
Contact Adrienne Brungess, Director, Capital Certificate in Public Law & Policy and Captial Commendation for Public Service
Email | 916.739.7170